Anticouni & Ricotta | Leaders In Employment Litigation Serving Clients Throughout California.

You are not getting the right pay: What should you do?

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2022 | Wage And Hour Claims |

Not many work-related topics are as emotionally charged and personal as what you take home after a day’s work. Of course, it is never all about money. However, this is one of the primary reasons why you leave home for work every morning. 

Even if you love your current job and are working for the best employer ever, learning that you are being underpaid can be quite demoralizing. So what do you do if you learn that your employer is short-changing you on payday?

Here are two steps you need to take while pursuing wage and hour claims in California. 

Look out for clerical errors in your paycheck

Mistakes happen. Common clerical errors that might lead to payroll mishaps include:

  • Improperly recorded work hours
  • Inaccurate pay rate
  • Failure to calculate overtime 
  • Unusual deductions

If you spot any of these errors in your pay slip, you need to take the matter up with the payroll department. Most often, clerical errors that are eating into your pay can be fixed by scheduling an appointment with the payroll department. The matter should come to rest if the payroll department corrects the errors. However, if this does not happen, then you should consider escalating the matter to higher authorities.

Keep a record of everything

Whether the clerical errors are fixed by the payroll office or not, it is important that you keep a record of these errors. Have a clear record of when you report and leave work, the number of hours or days you worked during the work period as well as any overtime worked. 

Knowing that you are receiving fair pay for work done is fulfilling for obvious reasons. Find out how you can protect your rights while pursuing wage and hour claims in California

FindLaw Network