Anticouni & Ricotta | Leaders In Employment Litigation Serving Clients Throughout California.

Are you a victim of promotion discrimination? 

On Behalf of | Aug 8, 2022 | Workplace Discrimination |

California has strict laws in place for workplace discrimination. While it’s illegal, the impact of promotion discrimination is significant. In these situations, the discrimination impacts your career options, reputation and income.

It’s important to learn the signs of promotion discrimination to know if you are a victim. 

How does promotion discrimination occur?

There are several situations where you may be a victim of promotion discrimination. Some of the most common causes include being passed over for a promotion or opportunity because of your:

  • Race
  • Disability
  • Gender
  • Religious affiliation
  • National origin
  • Age

It’s illegal to be denied a promotion based on these factors; however, it still happens. 

What to do if you are a victim of promotion discrimination?

If you were passed over for a position or promotion and you believe the reason is discrimination, you have legal options. It’s necessary to keep a record of all discriminatory acts, including conversations, emails and other instances. 

Be sure to continue doing your job and ensure your employer has no reason to file a complaint about your work or professionalism. You can also review your workplace handbook for dealing with cases of promotion discrimination internally. 

File a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

The EEOC enforces federal civil rights laws. If you are a victim of promotion discrimination, contact the EEOC. The laws enforced by the EEOC state that you must file a discrimination charge with this agency before being allowed to sue. After an investigation by the EEOC, if a violation is detected, they will work to settle with your employer on your behalf. 

If you are a victim of workplace discrimination, you have legal options. If you have taken the proper steps without a successful outcome, you will receive notice that you can move forward and file a lawsuit. 

FindLaw Network